La Anunciación

Regular updates of my work as an English teacher and assistant to the rector in Santiago, Dominican Republic through the Episcopal Church's Young Adult Service Corps.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

April Letter Home

Hello Everyone!

As promised, my Jay Leno-style letter home:

Top 5 Lessons from the DR (humorous)
5. Don’t look at the water under a microscope in science class unless you can stomach a lot of swimming things.

4. The dogs bark in Spanish. Mine is bilingual, though...

3. “…a las 8am.” ----------Translation: “…at 10am.”

2. Properly cleaning mondrón (food of a mixture of intestines and other ‘innards’ of a goat) is very, VERY important.

1. If someone says something you didn’t understand, never, NEVER say ‘sí’.


Top 5 Lessons from the DR (thoughtful)
5. The children give more forgiveness than I deserve when I get frustrated in class, and it serves as an example as I become jaded with experience.

4. Thinking one’s self is intellectually superior is the fastest way to become stupid.

3. There exists a very complicated hierarchy of helping: one’s self first, then family, then friends, then strangers, yet the help offered to friends and family is much greater than that commonly offered in the States. People here simply give more.

2. The less people have, the more they tend to give.

1. This is better preparation than I ever expected for being an effective physician in terms of learning patience, gaining skills in communicating across age, language and cultural barriers, learning to adapt teaching techniques, becoming more individually sensitive (as opposed to viewing the class as a whole), and learning to depend on God more thoroughly because I’m at such a loss. (More on this is to come on the blog www.warejko.blogspot.com.)


May God’s peace be always with all of you. You remain in my prayers every day. I’ll be writing soon with my May letter home. At this point, I now have a short 6 weeks left. It’s incredible how fast time can fly.

Peace,

Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home