La Anunciación

Regular updates of my work as an English teacher and assistant to the rector in Santiago, Dominican Republic through the Episcopal Church's Young Adult Service Corps.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

January Letter Home

Dear Friends and Family,

The fruits of waiting, and trying, and waiting, and trying, and waiting to connect and fulfill my hopes in this community are finally being realized. It took 4 months for the community to fully accept me and invite me into their lives, and the last few weeks, especially the past few days, have been incredibly fulfilling:

Today, a neighbor whom I don’t even know very well asked if I would read the Bible to him. We talked/read passages/prayed for a solid hour. He kept saying “no quiero molestarte, no quiero molestarte.” (I don’t want to bother you.) But how far from it! He told me he knows how to read but his eyes are bad, and the print is too small. I’m working on getting some reading glasses for him.

Yesterday I led the mass, including delivering the sermon—all in Spanish. People came up afterwards talking about the message of the sermon and excited about the evening. God, thankfully, filled in a lot of words for me! I was surrounded by His grace and Spirit.

Yesterday, a new youth came again for the second time to Christian Education, excited about what we’re doing; and we’re currently memorizing the books of the Bible (albeit through some games so they don’t realize it’s memorization!). She came last week after seeing me during the open house at the school playing worship songs on my guitar with a sign that said “Ask me about Christian Education here.” At one point everyone in the lobby of the school was singing with me!

Over the past 3 days, at least 5 people have asked me how my grandmother is doing (she had a cardiac arrhythmia that caused her to lose consciousness last week and is being considered for a pacemaker). What’s interesting is that I only told 3 people of the event. My grandmother is receiving prayers from people she has never and will never meet from across the Caribbean! One can say people just like to gossip, but I’d like to think, and I believe, that I have really developed some friends here, and that the people here care for me as much as I care for them. This is tremendous to me.

Feb 31 I visited an infirmed father of a teacher here who had kidney surgery, and the sight of the family coming together, praying together, and reuniting was so moving I included it in the sermon yesterday. It so clearly pointed out that as much as we--dare I say--hate, tragedies and difficult times, those are the times when God can most teach us because we are most reaching out to Him and willing to listen.

Feb 31 I sent 35 letters my students wrote in English to students of my high school Spanish teacher Mrs. Garcia, who will respond in Spanish: my students practicing English and hers practicing Spanish.

Jan 26 I taught the first science lab in the school’s history. We compared the boiling points of water in high and low pressures and learned to use the balance, seeming plain and simple activities, but the kids have been talking about it ever since, and there are kids in the 3rd and 4th grades talking about when they’re in 7th grade how they’ll do labs, too!

Jan 24 A woman who cleans the school approached me about her house beginning to collapse; Feb 1 I visited her house and am talking to a local friend of mine here to was a construction foreman for past mission groups to see what we can do.

I have finally grown close enough to this community to minister by simply showing genuine love, and being available for people to talk to and ask questions when want to know more about Christ. And they, in turn, have ministered to me, showing me new perspectives on scripture, new ways of worship, and genuine care. I believe even more strongly now in St. Francis’ wise instructions: “Preach the Gospel at all times; use words when necessary.”

This is a long letter, and I will close it now. I will be posting more on the blog at http://www.warejko.blogspot.com/ along with pictures of our Bible-learning adventures. (Next week we’re playing a life-size board game that includes looking up scriptures.)

I want to convey my deep, deep gratitude on behalf of this community and myself for your contributions in making this possible, be it through financial help, prayers, staying in touch over e-mails, or even just occasional thoughts, you have honestly made a difference and been a part of these incredible last few weeks and the last 5 months. Thank you. Thank you!

Peace,

Andrew

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Andrew,

Just wanted to know that I greatly appreciate getting your updates and that my prayers are with you and the community you serve.

Eric

 

Post a Comment

<< Home