La Anunciación

Regular updates of my work as an English teacher and assistant to the rector in Santiago, Dominican Republic through the Episcopal Church's Young Adult Service Corps.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

November Letter Home





Dear Friends, Family, and Supporters,

Another two months have passed since my last letter home. I apologize for the delay; I’ve gotten so involved here that time flew by.

What comes to mind first is the perspective of life here. In short, I have noticed that there is much more of a day-by-day approach because the future is so much more unpredictable, financially, physically, or otherwise. Rather than concerning themselves with what will happen tomorrow, they take each day and simply don’t “stress.” This is different from a lifestyle of “carpe diem,” though. I am reminded of Matthew 6:25-34, whose key verse is 34: “So do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will bring worries of its own…” The American culture makes it very hard to live by this premise, and I learning a lot from the Dominican culture in taking the days as they come.

My neighbors continue to be very generous and hospitable. Esteban and Christina, local fruit vendors, taught me how to cook a typical (complex and huge!) Dominican meal of rice, beans, fried eggplant casserole, chicken, and salad. It was delicious! (largely because I did more watching than cooking…)

Recently my Spanish has finally fallen into fluid form, and I feel much more comfortable talking to almost anyone about almost anything. I am leading the church service this weekend, including the sermon. I feel like now that the language and culture barriers have been broken with a lot of patience and prayer, my deeper work here can finally begin. I am going to start at least one, hopefully two Bible studies before I leave for Christmas. Please keep those in your thoughts.

There are many other anecdotes and lessons I want to share, but, as promised, I’ll keep this short. I’m working on a blog for those who want to read more. That will be up in the next few weeks. Attached to this e-mail, are two photos: one of me helping a 7th grade student and the other of Armando, a friend of mine, and me at the local “play” (baseball field). (If you’re on Facebook, I added some photo albums.)

Thank you again for your support, prayerfully, financially, and otherwise. This experience is a tremendous blessing in my life and has already been an opportunity for great spiritual and social growth. I hope I can make a fraction of that impact on those around me. Happy Thanksgiving, and an early Merry Christmas! Cuidese, y Dios se bendiga.

Peace,
Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home